Skip to main content

What kind of driving license do I need to drive a campervan?

A class B driving licence is required to drive our buses. In addition, you must be at least 18 years old and have held your driving licence for more than one year.
Remember that you must be at least 21 years old if you are renting in the USA, Canada or the United Kingdom and Ireland.

The driving licence must allow you to drive cars up to 3.5 tonnes.

What do I have to consider for roadtrips abroad?

  • All hirers who hold a driving licence from an EU member state or from the EEA have free driving rights in Germany and in the EU / EEA.
  • English driving licences (after Brexit) will continue to be recognised in the EU / EEA.
  •  EU / EEA driving licences are also recognised without an international driving licence in the following countries: Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Moldova, Bosnia-Herzegovina, GB, Serbia, Switzerland, Albania.
  • IMPORTANT: The same conditions apply to each registered additional driver.

When do I need an international driving licence?

  • If the driving licence is not issued in a member state of the European Union (EU) or a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA).

What is an international driving licence?

  • The international driving licence is not a driving licence in its own right, but an additional document.
  • Is only valid in conjunction with the national driving licence.
  • Is a kind of translation of the national driving licence.

What rules apply when renting a car in North America?

  • In North America the limit for the total weight of a car is 26,000 pounds (around 11.8 tonnes). Thus you may drive our campers above 3.5 tonnes with your non-US class B driving licence, too.
  • As a non-US citizen, you should have your local + international driver's licence with you.

There is a driver license check for citizens of the United Kingdom

Was this article helpful?
437 out of 533 found this helpful

Articles in this section

See more
Powered by Zendesk